Interview with Magan(I was the interviewee)

1. What’s your earliest memory of music?

As ironic as it may sound my first actual memory is actually linked to music. It was my fourth birthday and My family was was trying to get me excited for the ocassion, but being an antisocial brat, I rebelled. Eventually they dragged me outside and began singing happy birthday. There are many actual theories of explaining the incident, but the only thing that’s indisputable was my crying and pouting during the entirety of the song. Needless to say, this first exposure to music was not a pleasant one.
2. Did you have a favorite song when you were growing up? What, and why? Do you still like that song?

The issue with a question like that is that it assumes I have indeed grown up (laughter). If you could call the high school years as growing up, then I had one song by Outkast that I’d be willing to call my favorite, called “Flip Flop Rock”. The song came to me in a time where I really had to learn to be independent, because one: I am just not meant to follow the crowd, part of being me is being different from most and two: the crowd doesn’t always have your best interest in mind. “Flip Flop Rock” was essentially an anthem to individuality, to doing what one is inclined despite the fact that it’s not popular or accepted. The Lyrics are intelligent and spoke to me in a time where I was searching for independence. I listen to this song whenever I feel the need for re-affirmation, as this song is almost the equivalent of my personal anthem.
3. What role does music play in your parents’ life?

A marginal one at best. They listen to relax, although the two of them “relax” in different ways. Listening to soft Jazz and Rhythm and Blues is good enough for my mom, whereas my being from the Caribbean loves the fast beat and action of a Calypso dance beat.
4. What was the first song or album you bought with your own money?

It was actually Usher’s “8701”, a pretty decent CD that capture before he entirely matured as an artist, and the timeless talent that was present even then.
5. What was your first concert? Tell us about the experience?

I actually haven’t been to a concert yet, but there are rumors as to a Lupe Fiasco concert taking place somewhere in the area. Hopefully this will be my first concert, and quite honestly, I can’t think of a better artist to see live.
6. Who are your favorite bands and solo artists today? Why do you like them?

As I mentioned before Lupe Fiasco is one of my favorites. I feel like he captures a lot of the reasons why “Flip Flop Rock” is so great and embodies them into an original artist. A lot of lyrics deal with the fact that most of the time with urban communities if something is intelligent or requires thought of any kind, it immediately can’t be cool. I personally appreciate that there is somebody expressing these truths. In terms of bands, I fallen in love with songs from older rock bands, Nine Inch Nails “The hand that feeds” for example. I have also always had a deep respect for groups like Staind
7. Do you play a musical instrument–or instruments? What, and for how long? Do you sing?

The closest I have truly been to doing any of these was for a while I was into rapping. I used to write lyrics and occasionally just go over to home-made studios and make tracks. A few of my friends are still in the business, I have moved on the other avenues of creativity, mainly just writing.
8. Have you ever been in a band? Tell us about it.

Never really a band. I have been a part of songs in which others have rapped, but in terms of a musical Career I have always been a solo artist.
9. How does it feel to take a college course in rock, soul, and progressive music? What do you hope to learn as a result?

Honestly, it’s a tad overwhelming in terms of the others in the class who understand more about the genres than I do, but I see as an opportunity to learn more and grasp a greater appreciation for the genre, after all, while guitar hero is nice, I feel there a better venues to explore rock music